I am very pleased to share some good news with our neighbourhood.
Thanks to a little bit of persistence, a lot of support from everyone who signed my petition and the successful lobbying for a funding commitment during the last Federal election, we now have confirmation that the traffic around Rochedale Rd and Priestdale Road intersection will get the fix our community deserves.
You can read the two letters of commitment from the newly elected Mayor of Logan City and the Lord Mayor of Brisbane City. I want to thank them for agreeing to work collaboratively on this important project.
The Federal Government also committed $14 million to help fix the controversial intersection during the last election.
Analysis undertaken by the Queensland Government’s Department of Transport and Main Roads looking at school crossings in the area, concluded that the best way to improve safety would be to replace the roundabout with a signalised intersection.
The Mayors have indicated that they will progress a funding agreement and start the planning works. Even though this is a significant project that may take some time, residents can now be confident that a solution has been found and work can commence.
You can download a copy of the letters below:
Upgrading the intersection will involve:
- Installing traffic signals
- Creating four through lanes on Rochedale Road
- Installing double right turn lanes for westbound traffic on Priestdale Road turning North onto Rochedale Road
- Constructing off-road paths, bicycle lanes and prioritised pedestrian crossings on all approaches to the intersection
- Constructing left turn lanes on all approaches to the intersection
- Installing a U-turn facility at the northern section, providing motorists with a turning facility
- Removing the existing zebra crossing south of the intersection on Rochedale Road and the un-signalised crossings East and West of the intersection on Priestdale Road
- Converting the intersection of Rochedale Road and Netherby Street intersection to left-in and left-out only
- Removing approximately seven form on-street parking spaces and 29 informal on-street parking spaces will be removed to ensure all road users can travel safely and efficiently through the intersection
Click here to view a video of the Rochedale Rd & Priestdale Rd intersection upgrade project fly-through